This isn’t the easiest thing to give advice on since it will vary so widely from person to person and region to region. But I can tell you what I am glad I brought or wish I had brought (or not brought) with me when I moved. I came by plane and brought four suitcases plus two carry-ons. It cost a lot, but when you are permanently moving, it can be worth it.
I am happy I brought:
- my down comforter (used vacuum bags to bring it)
- supplies of my favorite make-up
- supplies of my most used medicines (plus baby aspirin and stomach medicines)
- a Diva Cup and tampons (tampons are rare here–usually can find one box in a sea of pads)
- lots of clothes (plus size not easy to find here)
- comfy shoes that wear well (shoes take a beating here, though I have yet to figure out why)
- lots of bras (can’t find my size here in anything cute/supportive)
- a few decorative items (made it feel like home real quick)
I Wish I had Brought:
- bed sheets
- more towels
- kitchen towels
- my favorite hair products
- my Swiffer mop (took it apart and brought it with me on my second trip)
- sweaters and sweatshirts (it gets colder here than I realized)
- more make-up
- more medicine (NyQuil and Mucinex to be specific)
- hard, plastic stir spoons (the plastic stir spoons for cooking seem to be very bendy here and metal is bad on non-stick pans)
I Wish I had Not Brought:
- The only thing I regret bringing was clothing that wrinkles easily or does not let the wrinkles fall out while drying. I have a box of clothing that I never wear anymore because I am too lazy to iron them.
Questions for my Readers
Are there items you would add to these lists?